Comprehensive Management Plan
The Comprehensive Management Plan (CMP) provides a management framework for the University of Hawai‘i (UH) to address measures to protect the cultural, natural, and scientific resources on UH Managed areas on Maunakea. The CMP was approved by the state Board of Land and Natural Resources (BLNR) in April 2009. In 2010 the BLNR approved the four sub-plans addressing: public access, cultural resources management, natural resources management, and decommissioning. The CMP and supplemental plans and framework and implementation for project development are the State’s plans for lands on Maunakea under the University’s management.
Comprehensive Management Plan (CMP)
- Mauna Kea Comprehensive Management Plan - April 2009 (3.2 Mb PDF)
- Mauna Kea Comprehensive Management Plan Appendices - April 2009 (4.4 Mb PDF)
- Mauna Kea CMP Final Environmental Assessment - April 2009 (23.7Mb PDF)
- Mauna Kea Cultural Resources Management Plan (CRMP) - October 2009 (25.5 Mb PDF)
- Mauna Kea Natural Resources Management Plan (NRMP) - September 2009 (35.2 Mb PDF)
- Mauna Kea Public Access Plan - January 2010 (11.3 Mb PDF)
- Mauna Kea Decomissioning Plan - January 2010 (2.7 Mb PDF)
Current observatory decommissioning documents
- Implementing & Evaluating the Comprehensive Management Plan for UH Managed Lands on Mauna Kea - February 2010 (0.5 Mb PDF). Submitted to the BLNR, but no Board action taken.
- Other documents that the Comprehensive Management Plan identifies and have been approved by the Maunakea Management Board include:
- Management Action NR-2: Invasive Species Prevention and Control Program. Approved February 2015.
- Management Action EO-1: Sign Plan. Approved February 2017.
- Management Action IM-1: Operations, Monitoring, and Maintenance Plan. Approved February 2017.
Project Review Process summary