A few of the more commonly used resources about Maunakea's natural history.
- Botanical Baseline Survey (2011) of the University of Hawaii’s Managed Lands On Mauna Kea. (9 MB pdf file) Pepared by Dr. Grant Gerrish, University of Hawaiʻi at Hilo, in 2013. (full-resolution, 36 MB pdf file)
* Botanical Data (2 MB Microsoft Excel file).
* Botanical Data (84 MB .zip file, for GIS as ESRI personal geodatabase, includes FGDC metadata).
* Data file description Appendix B excerpted from the report (1 MB pdf file).
* Available upon request is a 2nd report that focuses exclusively on the data from within the Astronomy Precinct and a surrounding buffer.
- A Guide to Plants on Mauna Kea
- Mauna Kea Silversword
* University of Hawai‘i Botany Department page on Mauna Kea Silversword
* U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service: Summary Info | Species Profile (Recovery Plan & Federal Register Documents)
* University of Arizona project to restore Mauna Kea Silversword
- Life history and captive rearing of the Wekiu bug (Nysius wekiuicola, Lygaeidae), an alpine carnivore endemic to the Mauna Kea volcano of Hawaii,
Prepared by Drs. Jesse Eiben & Daniel Rubinoff, University of Hawaiʻi, 2010.
- Annual alien arthropod and wēkiu bug (Nysius wekiuicola) survey results for Mauna Kea: 2007-2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014.
- US Fish & Wildlife Service - Wēkiu bug species profile
- Federal Register notice removing wēkiu bug as a candidate threatened or endangered species
- Video (Vimeo): Using Diverse Research Programs Focused on the Wekiu Bug to Improve Conservation Management Strategies in the High Alpine Ecosystem of Mauna Kea. Presentation by Dr. Jesse Eiben at the 2012 Hawaiʻi Conservation Conference.
- High resolution habitat suitability modelling for an endemic restricted-range Hawaiian insect (Nysius wekiuicola, Hemiptera:Lygaeidae). Journal of Insect Conservation, 2017
N.Stephenson, R.Perroy, J.Eiben, F.Klasner
- U.S. Geological Survey: Mauna Kea
- Lake Wai`au research (part of Mauna Kea Ice Age Natural Area Reserve, not UH managed lands): time series of photographs, 2012 - 2016 | Journal of Geophysical Research: Earth Surface (2016) | USGS Scientific Investigations Report (2015) | Research Paper EOS (2014) | Arctic, Antarctic, & Alpine Research (2014) | Researcher: Donna Delparte Faculty Website | Research Outreach Video
- Permafrost In Our Time, section on Maunakea permafrost.
Prepared by Dr. Kenji Yoshikawa, University of Alaska Permafrost Outreach Program, Water and Environmental Research Center. 2013.
- Maunakea Topographic Data (erosion baseline); led by Dr. R.Perroy (UHH).
Terrestrial LiDAR - 2014, UNAVCO. EZID link.
- Climatological Analysis of Meteorological Observations at the Summit of Mauna Kea,
Prepared by Sara da Silva, University of Hawaiʻi, 2006.
- High Altitude Climate of the Island of Hawaiʻi,
Prepared by Sara da Silva, Masterʻs Thesis, University of Hawaiʻi. 2012.
- Rainfall Atlas of Hawaii,
Prepared by Dr. Tom Giambelluca and others, University of Hawaiʻi, 2013.
- Snow on the Summits of Hawai'i Island: Historical Sources from 1778 to 1870
Prepared by Norbert Schorghofer, Elianna Kantar, and M. Puakea Nogelmeier. In The Hawaiian Journal of History, volume 48, 2014.