The Maunakea Invasive Species Management Plan addresses the 2009 Mauna Kea Comprehensive Management Plan action item NR-2: development of an invasive species prevention and control program. It was approved by the Maunakea Management Board on, and the policies are effective as of, February 10, 2015. The approved plan and associated Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) are below.
These documents identify personal gear, vehicle, and delivery cleaning requirements; inspection requirements (both vehicle operator-inspections and when DLNR requires an approved biologist); and penalties for non-compliance. Recommendations for maintaining areas outside of University managed lands and preparing for trips or deliveries of goods and materials are also included.
Requests for inspection or questions regarding the plan should be directed to: email@example.com or 808-933-0734. An online, web-based system for requesting and scheduling inspections is in preparation and will be available at www.omkm.org/inspections. The plan and procedures are a form of adaptive management and will be revised as needed.
PDF files of the Maunakea Invasive Species Management Plan and appendices
Maunakea Invasive Species Management Plan. 2015. PCSU Technical Report v191.
Identifies guiding principles, policies, and procedures.
Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs): detail and instructions for all mountain users.
- SOP 01: Cleaning of Vehicles and Personal Belongings. v1.1.
- SOP 02: Inspection of Vehicles, Construction Materials, Scientific Equipment, & Supplies. v1.1.
List of carriers approved for regular deliveries w/o an inspection by a DLNR-approved biologist.
- SOP 03: Cafeteria Food Shipments (Receiving). v1.0.
- SOP 10: Invasive Invertebrate Early Detection Surveys of Facilities. v1.0.
- SOP 11: Annual Alien Invertebrate Early Detection & Wēkiu Bug Monitoring.
- SOP B: Maunakea Vertebrate Threats, Identification, Collection, and Processing Guide.
- SOP C: Maunakea Invertebrate Threats, Identification, Collection, & Processing Guide. v1.0.
- SOP D: Maunakea Plant Threats, Identification, Collection & Processing Guide.
- SOP Z: Revising the Invasive Species Management Plan. v1.1.
Additional, pending, SOPs are identified in the Plan and will be made available here as they are completed and approved.